National Pothole Day
London, 16 January 2017
National Pothole Day highlights the current poor state of the UK’s local roads network due to a lack of funding.
- Local authority for highway maintenance was down by 16% in comparison to 2015
- Over £15bn is promised for the Strategic Road Network representing which represents less than 5% of the total UK highways network
- Central Government promises of an extra £6.1bn to be spent before 2021
- Local authorities are now embracing the ethos of “Highways Asset Management.”
- Central Government now offers incentives to the authorities in the form of Challenge Funding. Each local authority must prepare a detailed HAMP (Highways Asset Management Plan)
Total Bitumen is in a position to assist end clients in improving their asset management plans by selecting products which enhance the durability of their highways structure.
Total Bitumen is a “one stop shop” for the client wanting to use best practice in Highways Asset Management providing a portfolio of solutions for effective Asset Management creating sustainability through durability. The solutions are focused are 6 key areas:
- The construction sector needs confidence in the supply chain
- Total are the UK’s only integrated refiner
- The Total Group continue to invest in existing (Lindsey Oil Refiner and Preston) and new supply facilities (Southern Terminal on the river Thames opened in 2016)
- Our teams offer specialist site support and training bitumen technology.
- The Bitumen MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) is an online training module which addresses the skills gaps within the sector providing an appreciation of bitumen performance and the part played for good asset management.
- Our Golden Rules and partnering approach demonstrate our commitment to being the No1 for Safety demonstrating sustainability through responsibility!
- We offer customer safety workshops and joint safety days
What’s in our toolbox?
- Emulsis surface dressing binders used at timely intervention levels reduce pothole formation Money invested in preventative maintenance via this kind of asset management and effective whole life cost benefits
- Emulsis Micro Emulsions seal micro cracking in the surfacing prolonging the integrity of the pavement and preventing surface defects.
- TOTAL Styrelf polymer modified binders offer class leading durability – The Lavoc long term study demonstrates Styrelf’s performance characteristics
- The Kromatis range of clear binders for coloured asphalts. Light coloured surfacing can also reduce lighting energy costs by up to 40% and reduce surface heat absorption preventing the “urban heat island” effect in city environments improving public quality of life.
Lower Working Temperatures
- Total’s ECO2 range of binders offer benefits in terms of addressing climate change objectives.
- These products can save 30% on energy costs in asphalt manufacturing as well as increased workability in compaction during installation.
More than a bitumen company, we are an energy company. We are part of One Total
Oil, Gas, Solar, Energy storage and Ecosolutions - our portfolio offers sustainability through adaptability!